Sunday, June 3, 2012

Backyard Harvest: Pickling Nasturtium Capers


Our lush backyard nasturtium carpet has gone from its spring green finery to a more scraggly patch this year, punctuated with starlike splashes of orange and yellow. I've always wanted to harvest the "capers" to pickle them, so today was the day.





After a mere 10 minutes or so of picking the seedpods, I had my 1 cup's worth.



I decided to go for this recipe  or at least some version of it, so after boiling 1 cup of water with 2 tablespoons of salt, I poured the brine over the washed and separated pods.






They'll sit at room temperature for the next 3 days, at which point I will drain them and make the pickling brine. After another 3 days soaking in the vinegar mixture, they will be ready. This was an instantly satisfying preserving project, even if it means I won't actually taste these for a week or so.

I will of course report back once I've savored the fruits of my modest Sunday harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment