Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cooking The Breakfast Book, Chapter 6: Basmati Brown Rice Pancakes

Here we are, six chapters in to our Cook the Book project, and I'm starting to realize I don't often go with the obvious choices. That's true for my life in general, so I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise here. But still, when I reopen The Breakfast Book to cook for each post, I find myself slightly second-guessing my decision (for example, why didn't I choose Dutch Babies on the adjacent page?). Ultimately that's because there are an awesome collection of recipes in each chapter of this book, so there's lots to tantalize you away from your original thinking. I stuck with my griddling selection here though and had no regrets. 

These brown rice pancakes are like little flavor packets. Light and fluffy, yet toothsome and satisfying. Based on my cooking notes, I am filing these away in the "crazy good" category.


I love a savory breakfast which is probably why I gravitated towards these pancakes to begin with, so the first couple I tried topped with just some butter and sprinkle of flaky sea salt. Perfection, I was sure of it. Round two I went with some maple syrup and was wowed by the combination  divine! Then on the last round (c'mon, they're small pancakes), I used some of my homemade peach syrup, and literally rolled my eyes and smacked my lips in delight. I am sure you will find your perfect way to eat these too, so go make them and find out what it is.











Basmati Brown Rice Pancakes
makes 2 dozen 3-inch pancakes
Adapted from from The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham 


2 eggs, separated

1/2 cup cooked brown rice (I used basmati and loved the flavor, but you can substitute any brown rice)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Optional: 1/2 cup golden raisins

Separate your eggs and beat the yolks until light. Stir in the cooked rice, milk, salt, flour, and melted butter and beat until well combined.

In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they are stiff, but still moist. Fold the egg whites gently into the yolk mixture, and if using raisins gently stir them in at this stage.

Get your griddle or pan hot and add a little vegetable oil. Stir the batter to get the rice evenly distributed, and for each pancake drop in about 1 tablespoon of batter. Cook over medium-high heat until each pancake is golden, and then gently flip over and cook until the other side is equally done.

Be sure to stir the batter before making each round as the rice will settle to the bottom of the batter.

Here's where you can find my Cook the Book friends, and get even more of your breakfast fix in:


  • Rachel from Ode to Goodness
  • Natasha from Non-Reactive Pan
  • Emily from The Bon Appétit Diaries
  • Claudie from The Bohemian Kitchen
  • Sammy from Rêve du Jour
  • 2 comments: